QUICK SUMMARY: Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: The Results-Only Revolution discusses the benefits and necessity of implementing a results-only work environment (ROWE).
At Ethos3, we passionately believe in the power of a results-oriented work environment that allows employees to work from home or any other location of their choosing. After all, it is the results that matter, right? We recommend Why Work Sucks to anyone who is on the fence about the benefits of a relaxed work environment that is at the other end of the spectrum from traditional business structures.
1. Each person is free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as the work gets done.
2. Every interaction is valuable, meaningful, and productive because it has to be.
3. ROWE means that it’s not “my work and your work,” but rather “our work.”
1. In HR terms, this book is helpful in realizing that productivity does not necessarily mean time spent in an office chair or unused PTO.
2. ROWE forces everyone to come up with the most efficient processes to work together as a team; without excellent processes in place, working remotely or at varying times could cause chaos.
3. Why Work Sucks emphasizes not judging others on the time spent at the office, but rather the results their work has created.
Engaged employees are more productive, more innovative, more committed. It all gets back to that idea of unleashing the natural strengths and talents of your people.
We all labor under a myth: Time + physical presence = results.
If you are adding value to the company, if you are performing, then who cares if it takes you forty hours or forty seconds to do it?
In a ROWE time becomes something you truly manage . . . because it’s yours.