Baldoni’s The Leader’s Guide to Speaking with Presence is a short but insightful read. It offers some great reminders on how to become a better presenter.
- Leadership presence is the reflection of the leader’s inner self.
- Communication opens the door to authenticity.
- Think of a speech like a piece of music
- Every good speech must have its own signature, a rising and falling according to meaning and a tempo dictated by emphasis.
- Remember, the stage is your “house.”
- Own the message
- Stories: Inform, Involve, Inspire
- Avoid jokes at the expense of others— except yourself!)
- Always state the truth. Always.
- Work on projecting your voice
- Work on body position
- Pause more
One final rule for PowerPoint: As with alcohol, use in moderation.