QUICK SUMMARY: Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business is a thorough how-to guide for creating valuable content as part of a marketing strategy. Built on a foundation of case studies and research, Content Rules is a great tool for marketers who want to boost the online presence of a business by creating and sharing original content.
We recommend Content Rules because it is more than a book; it is a ready-to-use tool for anyone launching a content marketing strategy. Content Rules is a great read for anyone who needs a persuasive nudge to start creating content, as well as a solid plan to support the successful implementation of the content strategy.
1. The best content is a fusion of storytelling and journalism.
2. Do something unexpected.
3. Creatively share content across multiple platforms.
4. Know your audience.
1. Take inventory of existing content, and make plans to reimagine best content pieces:
– For example, turn a blog post into a SlideShare deck, white pages, or an Ebook.
2. Follow potential content plan; adjust as necessary:
– Post to Twitter and Facebook daily.
– Create and share a new blog post weekly.
– Create and share a more substantial blog post once a month. (YouTube video, SlideShare presentation, podcast interview, newsletter)
– Publish a research based white paper once per quarter.
I put myself in the mind of the consumer and think, ‘What questions do I have unanswered?”
At the start of any campaign or initiative, you should ask one question: How will we measure success?
Break some rules: you can start sentences with and, but, so, and because.